Saturday, August 30, 2008

Tribute to the Godfather

Dear friends,

Last week I had the honor of sharing some thoughts without you, regarding the significance of Isaac Hayes' presence on this Earth. Earlier last week, I read a piece in the Boston Herald that, at least to me, should be shared by more than just Boston residents. It regards James Brown...

Actually, I had never heard of James Brown having any association whatsoever with Africa, in either a magazine or on a television program - in my whole life. I do recall Brother Brown being lambasted by African Americans of all political stripes for his lack of conscience in how he carried himself and the type of music that he sang. Please remember, this was all happening during the early years of the Black Consciousness Movement. Brown's coiffure and flashy clothes did not represent the newfound yearning of African Americans to reclaim our African identity.
It all came to a climax when Brown put out a record called "America is my home". On it, he bragged, "I got a brand new jet...when I need to move...a soul brother made it...ain't that a groove?" That did it. Black youth began to shun him. He turned around, rightfully so, in the midst of such dismissal and recorded the revolutionary masterpiece of the era, "Say it loud, I'm Black and I'm proud!" That song would blare during protest marches as well as dance parties. He soon followed that song with, "I don't want nobody givin' me nothin', open up the door ( I'll get it myself)". And so, in recognizing his contributions, we must also appreciate the integrity that James Brown displayed, when he put love for his culture first, in sharing his art.

One Love,
G. Djata Bumpus
http://bostonherald.com/entertainment/music/general/view.bg?articleid=1113464

0 comments: