Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Short Video feature with Glen Loury on Obama (originally posted 11/21/08)

That term, "underclass", I contended was an impossible description of people who lived in a class society. In other words, to be "under" a class, as it were, is to suggest that one is living in a society that has no classes. Moreover, the term contradicts itself, since, in our society, everyone belongs to some economic class. Eventually, after a brief debate, Glen agreed with me

************************************
Dear friends,

Back in 1995, while writing a book review for the now-defunct, but highly worthy magazine, African Commentary, I interviewed Glen Loury. At the time, after an unfortunate occurrence in his personal life, Professor Loury stopped teaching at Harvard University and went across the Charles River to Boston University, another great school. (He has since moved to Brown University in Rhode Island.)

In any case, during the interview, we segued from the topic of the book that I was reviewing, for a moment, because I wanted to discuss a term that he had popularized during the Reagan Era which was commonly bandied about by journalists and other such pundits. That term, "underclass", I contended was an impossible description of people who lived in a class society. In other words, to be "under" a class, as it were, is to suggest that one is living in a society that has no classes. Moreover, the term contradicts itself, since, in our society, everyone belongs to some economic class. Eventually, after brief discourse, Glen agreed with me.

I found that more than noble of him. After all, the level of plagiarism and other kinds of dishonesty has become such a part of American academia, even among African American scholars now, that I was pleasantly astonished. It is for that reason that when I saw the brief video on the link below, from the New York Times, I had to share it. Enjoy!

G. Djata Bumpus
http://video.nytimes.com/video/2008/11/14/opinion/1194832958030/bloggingheads-is-real-change-here.html

0 comments: