Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Pioneer Valley Boxing School was in Iraq/Kuwait war theatre with the Troops



LETTER OF SUPPORT AND TESTIMONIAL
19March04
In support of Coach Bumpus, for his support ofthe M.W.R. (Morale, Welfare, and Recreation)boxing program in Camp Udairi, Kuwait


To whom it may concern:

I began to review our (US Army) M.W.R. boxing program for the field of Kuwait and Iraq, hoping to make it better. I upgraded all the equipment, which enhanced the safety tremendously. I had a great system as far as the structure of the practices, but I needed more technical information, a book or a resource.

I came across a Web site that caught my eye. Yet, it was not the site itself that changed the program, rather, it was the person who responded to my e-mail. His name is Coach G. Djata Bumpus. I told him who I was and that I could use some more information on the practical approach of coaching.

Coach Bumpus sounded enthusiastic about doing whatever it took to support the troops. He started sending lesson plans and instructions of basic boxing fundamentals. I was really impressed by his interest and support of our program. As well, he approached me in a very professional manner, emphasizing the importance of providing good information for the troops.

What followed was some of the most comprehensive and easy to understand boxing lessons I have ever seen or heard of. It was amazing. I began implementing them the next day. Not only was it easy to read, but fun to teach. Coach Bumpus’ writing is both creative and articulate. Moreover, his lessons are phenomenal!

The men and women who participated in the program enjoyed and appreciated what I was doing, but it was the practical and relevant information that made the program so successful, regardless of the participants' boxing skill levels or knowledge of boxing itself.

I gladly endorse Coach Bumpus for supporting the boxing program of the U.S. and coalition forces in the theatre of both Kuwait and Iraq, and, I also support him, because he has a special talent for expressing and communicating how to teach boxing. As a coach myself, his contributions were/are immeasurable.

Finally, in addition to his in depth understanding of the game, he also inspired me personally. In fact, before most lessons, he would take a moment to reflect on how a specific lesson ties in with some part of our lives. Being able to connect sports with real life situations is special.

Thanks again Coach Bumpus.

Sincerely,
Rick RobitailleStaff Sergeant, Combat Engineer

0 comments: